Texas Lesson Study
Inquiry-Based, Job-Embedded Professional Development
Texas Lesson Study (TXLS) is inquiry-based, job-embedded professional development where teachers work collaboratively to develop, teach, and assess research-based lessons. Teachers collaborate in teams of 2 - 5 to identify a concept students have difficulty understanding, research and design a lesson plan for teaching that concept, teach the lesson, reflect and refine the lesson and reteach it.
Join the conversation!
Lesson Study is a framework for collaborative instructional research and lesson design that can be implemented by all campuses. The construct of the Lesson Study groups can vary based on the campus size and needs.
The purpose of Lesson Study is to help teachers improve their effectiveness, share best practices with other teachers, improve student outcomes, and provide a platform to demonstrate mastery within the teaching profession.
Benefits of Texas Lesson Study
This service is provided through a grant, making it FREE to participate.
TXLS will reimburse 2-3 substitute days for each participating teacher, allowing time for the teacher to engage in the initial training as well as observe and debrief each lesson delivery. Each teacher will be required to meet with the TXLS facilitator once a week for approximately 1-2 hours during the work day (preferably during the school day).
Each teacher will receive a stipend of $500 for his/her initial participation in lesson study.
Our Region 12 Texas Lesson Study Facilitator, Jennifer Maine, will work with administration to set up a consistent schedule. She will come to the participating campus each week at no cost to the campus or district.
She will guide the team through:
Using her unique skill set and knowledge as a service center specialist, Jennifer will support the team through the entire process and celebrate their success. Most importantly, she will help the campus sustain the lesson study work, independent of an outside facilitator.
Please contact Jennifer with any questions you may have about Texas Lesson Study firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to get started? Let us know you're interested!
1. Examine & Identify: The campus or teachers create an overarching Research Theme. Teachers examine the scope and sequence, student data, and the TEKS and identify the student expectation(s) from the TEKS for the Lesson Proposal.
2. Review & Plan: Teachers review instructional materials and research, create an assessment, map out a unit timeline and plan the Research Lesson.
3. Teach & Observe: One teacher instructs the lesson while the other teachers collect data on student engagement and learning during the lesson.
4. Reflect & Revise: Teachers and outside observers will reflect on the research lesson and discuss the data collected. Teachers will decide if they would like to make revisions to the research lesson. Teachers may repeat Phase 3 and 4.
5. Network & Share: Teachers will share the research lesson and findings with their peers. The Lesson Proposal and video of the lesson will be available on the Texas Gateway. A network of Lesson Study groups and facilitators will be built across Texas.
2101 West Loop 340
Waco, TX 76712
Phone: (254) 297-1212
Main Fax: (254) 666-0823
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday - 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
About Us | Vendor Information | Policies | Required Postings | Directory
Copyright © Education Service Center Region 12 2017. All rights reserved.
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM