Texas Lesson Study
Inquiry-Based, Job-Embedded Professional Development
Texas Lesson Study (TXLS) is inquiry-based, job-embedded professional development where teachers work collaboratively to develop, teach, and assess research-based lessons. Teachers collaborate in teams of 2 - 5 to identify a concept students have difficulty understanding, research and design a lesson plan for teaching that concept, teach the lesson, reflect and refine the lesson and reteach it.
Join the conversation!
Lesson Study is a framework for collaborative instructional research and lesson design that can be implemented by any campus. The construct of the Lesson Study groups can vary based on the campus size and needs.
The purpose of Lesson Study is to help teachers improve their effectiveness, share best practices with other teachers, improve student outcomes, and provide a platform to demonstrate mastery within the teaching profession.
Benefits of Texas Lesson Study
Texas Lesson Study is grant-funded, making it FREE to participate.
Lesson Study is flexible: weekly collaborative sessions, half days, whole days. The schedule can be tailored to meet campus needs.
Lesson Study supports teachers in applying district and campus initiatives.
Our ESC Facilitator, Jennifer Maine, will work with your campus and/or district to determine campus needs and then get started with a sustainable plan.
Jennifer will guide the team through:
Using her unique skill set and knowledge as a service center specialist, Jennifer will support the team through the entire process and celebrate their success. Most importantly, she will help the campus sustain the lesson study work, independent of an outside facilitator.
Please contact Jennifer with any questions you may have about Texas Lesson Study firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texas Lesson Study aligns beautifully to any campus, or district initiative, allowing teachers to do a deep dive into both understanding and practicing campus or district goals. Texas Lesson Study also aligns perfectly to the following:
Ready to get started? Let us know you're interested!
1. Examine & Identify: Dive into data to determine an area of focus based on both longitudinal and vertical data. Consider a teaching focus or strategy based on campus goals.
2. Review & Plan: With the help of the ESC Facilitator, teachers:
3. Teach & Observe: One teacher instructs the lesson while the other teachers collect data on student engagement and learning during the lesson. Outside observers are invited to observe the lesson and provide feedback.
4. Reflect & Revise: Teachers and outside observers will reflect on the research lesson and discuss the data collected. The conversation is focused on instruction and improving student learning outcomes. Teachers will then decide on and implement revisions to the research lesson. Teachers may repeat Phase 3 and 4.
5. Network & Share: Teachers will share the research lesson and findings with their peers.
2101 West Loop 340
Waco, TX 76712
Phone: (254) 297-1212
Main Fax: (254) 666-0823
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday - 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
About Us | Vendor Information | Policies | Required Postings | Directory | Web Accessibility Statement
Copyright © Education Service Center Region 12 2017. All rights reserved.
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM