The Region 12 Education Service Center obtains criminal history information on applicants that are
being considered for the Principal Preparation and Certification Program. Applicants have the right to review and challenge any negative information that would adversely impact a decision to offer employment/volunteerism/participation.
If you were previously charged with a crime, you may have questions about your eligibility for a Texas educator certificate. A Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation is an evaluation of eligibility for a Texas educator certificate based on your self-reported criminal history. As a service to prospective candidates, TEA staff may perform an evaluation for a non-refundable fee of $50. The evaluation is voluntary and non-binding. Additional information can be found on the TEA website. Please read these FAQs from TEA in their entirety before making a request or submitting payment for a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation (PCHE). All fees are non-refundable.
Educator preparation programs (EPPs) shall inform all applicants that:
(1) pursuant to the Texas Education Code (TEC), §22.083, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to employment as an educator; and
(2) pursuant to the TEC, §22.0835, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to clinical teaching.
(d) EPPs shall notify, in writing by mail, personal delivery, facsimile, email, or an electronic notification, each applicant to and enrollee in the EPP of the following regardless of whether the applicant or enrollee has been convicted of an offense:
(1) the potential ineligibility of an individual who has been convicted of an offense for issuance of a certificate on completion of the EPP;
(2) the current State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) rules prescribed in §249.16 of this title (relating to Eligibility of Persons with Criminal History for a Certificate under Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 53, and Texas Education Code, Chapter 21); and
(3) the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter as provided in Chapter 227, Subchapter B, of this title (relating to Preliminary Evaluation of Certification Eligibility).